Creating perfect curls in short hair can be difficult to achieve for most of us. I want to teach you how to get professional looking salon curls without the salon price tag for your short hair. Take a look at these simple methods below to get amazing results from your flat Iron and curling Iron.
Also Read about the top curling wands you should use in this article here!
How To: Curling Your Short Hair With A Flat Iron
- First of all ensure your hair is completely dry, as damp hair can frazzle at the ends making your frizzy. Imagine the impact on your short hair! Curls actually hold better in yesterday’s washed hair, so maybe consider this, before attempting your curls.
- Flat irons are harsh on your hair, It needs protecting, ask your stylist what protection spray is best suited to your hair. If your hair is coarse and dry, It is important that you nourish your hair with an oil based protector such as argon or coconut, whereas an oil base on already oily hair will promote a greasy look to your curls.
- Choose your Flat iron carefully, Thin and short hair needs a smaller Iron than those with masses of hair. Remember this with temperature too, Thin hair needs a lower temperature than thick hair, the hotter your irons the more damage potential, so bare this in mind while creating your curls. Always use the lowest temperature possible for the shortest amount of time needed to minimize damage.
- Separating your hair is the simplest way to get the best from your flat iron, use clips or grips to part sections of the hair. Hold a small section of hair near to the root, tilt the iron and bring down slowly, a bit like a ribbon effect. Repeat this in each section until all of the hair is curled.
- Whilst the hair is still warm (as hot hair is more definable), Tousle your fingers gently through the curls to separate them but don’t over do it or you will lose all definition and it will become waves not curls, this will give the curls a more natural look. For more definition again use your fingers to spin the curls to define them for a more deliberate look, spray evenly with hairspray.
Curling Short Hair With A Curling Iron
Firstly; Perfectly dry hair is again a must for curling irons, to minimise any damage caused by using high temperatures on your hair. Damp hair is a disaster waiting to happen as the steam made will cause frizzing, not to mention the damage it will cause.
Choosing a curling Iron best suited to short hair can be difficult, as the if the Iron is too thick, only waves will be attained with your curling iron.
Here are a few ideas to help you make an informed decision on what is best for you.
Sultra The Bombshell Rod Curling Iron
This curling iron is a firm favorite for curling short hair, due to its continuous 380 F heat and ¾ Inch Barrel.It is one of the more expensive Irons, but you get what you pay for. Ensure the iron comes with its heat proof glove as you will need it, It is very easy to burn yourself with this contraption. After a small amount of practice your will be curling your hair like a professional in no time at all.
Hot Tools Professional Curling Iron
This stylish piece of machinery has a slightly wider barrel (1 inch) than our previous device, but it is still reasonably small and still great for short hair. It heats up and maintains to a mammoth 428F ensuring those curls are in for the night (and hopefully the next day). Very reasonably priced so these really are a must try. The reviews for these are pretty positive, it is very possible to singe your hair, so please be very careful.
No matter which curling Iron you choose, remember to protect your hair, protective spray on the market vary, find the best one for your hair type. This will reduce heat damage by coating the hair producing much less damage than styling bare.
Section your hair. With a curling iron, it’s usually best to start from the back, lowering segments at a time. Start at the root, leaving enough room to not burn your head, (about an inch) then wrap the hair tightly around the barrel, hold for a moment and release, this should create the perfect curl.
When you have finished your whole hair, style by tousling your hair with your fingers until you get it the way you want it. Use a quality hairspray to hold your beautiful curls in place
Creating curls in short hair, is not as difficult as it seems, you can create salon quality hair from home with the correct tools and knowledge. Remember to always protect you hair as using heat can damage it. Just Follow my simple instructions and you can achieve the look that you want, whether it’s from an flat Iron or a curling iron, the choice is ultimately yours.